Day One

Day One Reflections Gary Watson 

Introduction to the New Zealand Curriculum 2007 edition.




Today we learned about the New Zealand curriculum. Reflecting as a relief teacher I feel as though my role is to focus on developing my students not just as learners but as global citizens. It is really important to me to teach my students how to Manage Self and Relate to Others (NZC, 2007). After hearing the discussions today I am more aware of the curriculum and its usefulness in the classroom. Although I have always put an emphasis on the importance of the Key Competencies of Managing Self and Relating to Others I will now, going forward, be more aware of the NZC and how it can be used to the benefit of the students.

I personally think it is really important to be a role model to the students of these Key Competencies. For example, I show how to Relate to Others when encountering many and varied classes I inevitably come across students names that I pronounce incorrectly. I begin my lessons by apologising to anyone whom I may inadvertently do this too, while also encouraging the students to correct me. Pronouncing the students names correctly is really important to me as it shows respect; which I know is a two-way street.

Impressed with the presentation by Julia Atkin who felt our curriculum was one of "the best in the world"... Now all teachers have to take a broader view of their subject areas and incorporate a wider view. "To enrich the lives of the students".

Learned that the official languages are New Zealand Sign Language and Te Reo Maori while English is a de facto language.

Utilizing warm up activities to introduce ourselves within our group. 
Using the Bus Stop method to investigate Graduate Teaching Standards. Worked with Renee. Looked at Professional Knowledge 2, Standard Two Graduating teachers know about learners and how they learn. Interpreted a) "have a knowledge of a range of relevant theories and research about pedagogy, human development, and learning" as : - understanding and catering for a range of different learning styles.
Video footage of teaching a multicultural class in mathematics using a T-chart (should/could) comparison made the students think much more about their results.
Prospect of setting up a blog a bit of a challenge!
GTS 1a, 1c, 2a, 2c, 3c, 5a, 6b, 7c


Comments

Popular Posts