Day Three Basket Ball


Question asking in the classroom gave me a much better appreciation of how I can improve on this in my teaching. Particularly liked the "Basket Ball" approach of Pose, Pause, Pounce, and Bounce. This gives the students more ownership of the exercise as the facilitator doesn't allow students to put their hands up but chooses someone at random, followed by bouncing the question on to another student by asking them "What do you think about that?" As a relief teacher I can use this technique in many of the classes I encounter during my days at school. For further information, I intend to look into the publications of Dylan Wiliam, hinge questions and look at The Classroom Experiment from the BBC.


As my laptop wasn't online  I was unable to use the Padlet brick wall sharing technique but felt that was a very use tool for instantly sharing ideas which I can pass on to my colleges at KKHS. Students are very technology savvy and would take to technique with great enthusiasm.


Having been involved in Te Kotahitanga teaching from the inception at KKHS I can see the value in using Teaching as an Inquiry over all teachers of a homeroom class. We did this with target children and often found that they had the same problems over all the subject levels. I no longer participate in these meetings, being a relief teacher, but do appreciate the value of sharing this information for the betterment of the students. What tended to happen was the whole class was lifted by the changes made to accommodate the problems identified.


Another good lead from today was to look into the writings of Jo Boaler and Bobby Hunter as I believe they have an emphasis on mathematics, the subject in which I will do my section.What interests me very much is from the work of Bobby Hunter (Dr. Roberta) who set out to lift the abilities of Maori and Pacifica students. I want to look into her idea of seating the students in threes and mixing the abilities. This allows the students to work as a unit with the more able students encouraging and assisting the one's of less ability. If possible, and with agreement from my associate teacher, In would like to try this technique during my time at KKHS.


Kay pointed me in the direction of the NZ Maths website which I hope to use to locate a suitable unit of work that I can annotate for my first assignment. She also pointed out that it can be used in place of using a text book should a teacher find the need to change what hasn't worked when teaching a specific area of mathematics. Most classrooms that I teach in use textbooks for the bulk of the students practical work.


Discuss, Publish, Shop and Polish was a good activity that I could use within a Social Studies class. We often find that relief work in this area is a bit thin. Having this strategy we give me an interesting way to look at a written resource. The students will appreciate it too as they can look at what other groups have come up with.


Given useful practical hints for our time in schools. Will definitely use photographs to document the beginning, middle, and end of my section. Believe that a "formal start and a formal end" to a lesson is a technique that makes control of the class much better. Relief teaching is all about control and having a good repore with the class.
It was good to get an introduction to Teaching as Inquiry as I haven't worked with this before. Going through examples was helpful.


Formative assessments that I make I can relay to the classroom teacher through the return sheet that I must fill out after teaching the class. This will give the full-time teacher the option of using my observations. I have in the past relayed information directly to a dean of a year level if I have noticed that a student could benefit from specific attention.

GTS 1c, 2a, 2b, 3a, 4c, 5a, 5b, 6b, 6d, 7c

 

Comments

Popular Posts