Day Two Whakatauki


Mauri tū mauri ora 
An active soul is a healthy soul.

Today we learned about Whakatauki (Māori proverbs). These are a powerful tool that many of our Kerikeri High School students will relate to and give them more ownership of the content of the lesson. They can look back to where they have come from and link their current learning to the values held by their ancestors. Today we were given the whakatauki "There is but one eye of the needle, through which the white, red, and black threads must pass". This is a very old proverb that goes back to the time of the treaty. Although interesting, I decided while reflecting to find my own whakatauki that spoke to who I am as a teacher. The one I found that sits well with me is, "mauri tū mauri ora ". Being active is part of my identity as a teacher as it encourages active participation to develop the individuals character. 

Going forward, and given the opportunity, I would like to try and get students to look at whakatauki and talk about one that has a special affinity to them. 





Comments

Popular Posts