290817 day 12 KKHS

Long day. I have always maintained a regular exercise regime which meant I had to get to the gym by 0600hrs for my spin session. It is important to have a balance of work and exercise. Normally I would be out on the road training for the K1 in October but the enforced re-registration TER course has thrown this out the window. A spin session was the next alternative.
The early exercising must have paid off as the day went well with all classes mostly settled and on task. Was apprehensive about a special WAKA lesson period four, however, getting to school early and catching up with the coordinator, Emma Wise, meant I was better prepared than many for this one-off lesson.
The camera is your friend. In each maths class, I got the students to put their names on their work, along with the day’s date and WALT. Kept all the students on their toes as they didn’t know whose books I would photograph.
Used a seating plan on my most difficult class. They accepted this very well indeed. Most importantly, the class was a lot more settled and productive.
Could be light at the end of the tunnel!! It’s very faint but it’s encouraging none-the-less.
Thinking back to 1976 when I first went through this process in Wellington. Peter Sloane was a great lecturer who emphasised the practical and got us out on as many sections as he could. He told us you learn much more from being in the classroom than all the theory. He was absolutely correct, especially for a relief teacher, such as myself.

Can’t believe that after 41 years, most of it in teaching, I am back at the front!! 

Comments

Popular Posts